Overview

The things we throw out have a large impact on our health and the health of the environment. All of the items we put in our waste bins is either sent to a landfill or is incinerated, and both processes can pollute our air and water. We can reduce this impact by reducing the total amount of waste we generate, and by making sure that the waste we do generate is separated so that some of the waste can be reused or recycled. Much of the waste generated in Cambridge households can be diverted from the waste stream, and instead be recycled or composted.

Cambridge adopted the same waste reduction goals as the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. With 2008 as a baseline, our goal is to reduce trash 30% by 2020 and 80% by 2050. By recycling and composting we’ve made significant gains.

lbs/HH/wk

Pounds of Waste per Household per Week

Cambridge measures its progress towards the goal of pounds of trash per household per week. When this is combined with data on the total tons of recycled and composted materials, we can see how well we’re doing with both reducing waste overall, and diverting waste into recycling and composting.

Our Data & Goals
  • 22.93 lbs/HH/wk

     

    2008

    Baseline
  • 18.63 lbs/HH/wk

     

    2012

  • 17.26 lbs/HH/wk

     

    2017

  • 16.0 lbs/HH/wk

     

    2020

    Goal
  • 4.0 lbs/HH/wk

     

    2050

    Long-Term Goal
Our Data & Goals
2008

Baseline

22.93lbs/HH/wk

 
2012

18.63lbs/HH/wk

 
2017

17.26lbs/HH/wk

 
2020

Goal

16.0lbs/HH/wk

 
2050

Long-Term Goal

4.0lbs/HH/wk

 

The amount of trash collected each year in Cambridge has declined 23% since 2008. This is great progress made by our city. We need to keep up the good work so we can hit our 2020 and 2050 goals!

Here we see a decline in the pounds of trash collected per household per week. This tells us that the City services and educational campaigns are creating a shift in behavior.

This pie chart gives us an excellent breakdown of what we throw away in Cambridge and the opportunity we have to reduce the amount of material going to our landfill and incinerators. As we can see, only 30% of everything we put in our waste bins is actually trash. The other 70% can be recycled or composted. Check out the How You Can Help section below to learn more.

View Our Sources Here

How You Can Help

  • Recycle More!

    Recycle! Use the new

    Recycle! Use the new Get Rid of It Right tool at to look up if you can divert your unwanted stuff

     

    More Information
  • Compost!

    Compost! Citywide curbside compost launched April 2, 2018 to all 1-12 unit buildings. For larger buildings, please consider using on of the three free drop-off sites for composting.

     

     

    More Information
Recent Updates for Cambridge
Curbside Composting Starts in April!

The Curbside Compost Program will expand to all buildings with 1 to 12 units on April 2. Food scraps and compostables will be picked up weekly on the same day as trash and recycling.

Full Article
City of Cambridge- Celebrating One Year as a Five Star Community

One year ago, the City of Cambridge confirmed its role as a leader on sustainability by earning a Five Star Rating from Star Communities. Cambridge received the highest score of any city in North America.

Full Article